On this week’s Healthy Diet Podcast we talk about what is in bread today and how to make or choose a healthy bread that still has some nutrition left in it.
- We talk about a brief history of bread. Wheat is one of the most important and oldest grains in the world.
- Bread has been around since Bible times and Egyptians were probably the first people to bake bread. Bread rained from Heaven when the Israelites were in the desert for 40 years.
- White bread first appeared in the Middle Ages probably used for communion. White was a sign of purity.
- There is a lot of nutrition in the whole grain of wheat. One quarter cup of whole wheat berries contains 8 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber.
- However, whole wheat products are not what they appear today. Most wheat products contain a large amount of white flour with added grain or coloring to make it look brown.
- There is no substitute for the whole wheat berry.
- What about wheat allergies? Wheat has been adulterated from the seed by herbicides, fungicides, fumigation and more. More information from Dr Mercola.
- We make our own pizza crust and bread and we make a sprouted grain bread.
- If you eat bread, choose 100% whole wheat, sprouted wheat of grind your own wheat berries. We buy our sprouted grain tortillas from Food For Life which we discovered at The Jungle restaurant in Indialantic Beach, Florida.
Next week: TBA
Listen Now:What\'s In Your Bread? [14:57m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download (3555)