On today’s Healthy Diet Podcast we talk about OJ, orange juice, not the football player, vitamin c and the myths surrounding this nutrient.
- What do you think of when you think of orange juice? Do you want to keep from getting a cold? You should drink OJ to get your vitamin c right?
- How did the need for vitamin c get discovered?
- During the days of explorers sailing the world sailors would get scurvy, a pretty nasty disease. It was discovered by James Lind that they were vitamin c deficient.
- Sailors were then fed lemon juice and scurvy was under control, until they started boiling the lemon juice to “purify” it. Scurvy returned because the vitamin c was being destroyed by boiling.
- What do you think happens to orange juice you buy in the store since it has been pasteurized? Does this have any ramifications for eating cooked food?
- Pediatricians in the late 1800’s told mothers to boil milk for their babies and children started getting scurvy.
- Great sources of vitamin c are green leafy vegetables such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, green peppers, tomatoes, asparagus, etc.
- Raw fruits and veggies offer the greatest protection against cancer that any other food.
- There are more than 1,000 phytonutrient components in a tomato, isolating one factor and taking it won’t make you healthy.
- They key to healthy living is eating a wide variety of raw fruits and vegetables.
Now Available! – FREE Sample Download Of The Mostly Raw Vegan Meal Planner.
Next week: TBA