After a one week absence, the Healthy Diet Podcast for this week is about the recent spinach food poisoning scare with ecoli 0157:h7.
- Spinach was taken off the shelves of grocery stores across the country because of an ecoli outbreak. Conventional, organic, etc., it didn’t matter.
- Article about spinach by Nina Planck – Ecoli is very common and only one strain 0157:h7 is very dangerous and is not killed by stomach acid as other ecoli is.
- Ecoli never originates in produce, the source is secondary. It comes from cows fed on grain instead of their natural diet, grass.
- When cattle are fed their natural diet, the incidence of 0157 is reduce by 1,000 times. Now there’s a solution! Hello cattle industry!
- Spinach has received a bad rap in the past, canned spinach is mushy, (even though Alan likes it) fresh spinach is great!
- Spinach recipes on our healthy diet web site – Spinach pesto, yummy!
- Spinach is fragile, handle with care. Don’t cook it in aluminum cookware.
Sign up for our healthy diet news letter.
Next week: To be announced.
Listen Now:The Spinach Ecoli 0157:h7 Scare of 2006 [13:33m]: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download (2882)